Rounded square




39 High Street, Solva, Pembrokeshire, SA62 6TE

Mem hall Logo Transparent boxoff-background boxoff-background

Built in 1812, originally Solva Memorial Hall was a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. It was the second non-conformist place of worship to be built in Solva, after Zion Chapel (Capel Ucha’) in 1798, but not the last, as many more followed. The Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was built in 1815, the Baptist (Capel Bach) one year later in 1816, then in 1864 Mount Pleasant was built, and finally Capel y Cwm in 1887. Prior to all of these, records show that there had been a Vicar in Whitchurch since 1351 and originally this is where the inhabitants of Solva would have worshipped.


Due to the growth of the village and the increase in population. which required somewhere closer and more convenient, St Aidan’s church was opened in 1879 in Solva as a ‘chapel of ease’


During the 19th century the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (SMH) was rented for use as a British school (Welsh and non-sectarian). It flourished until 1881 when it was combined with the National school (Church School) located above the Memorial Cross.


These additional places of worship, plus the moving of the school meant the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel struggled in the 1890s and eventually closed in 1903.


In 1921 foundation stones were laid for the rear extension (today the Main Hall) and it reopened in 1922 as Solva Memorial Hall.


About Us

Solva Memorial Hall is owned by the community and run by a Management Committee, in partnership with Solva Community Council. In the 10 years from 1995 to 2005 the hall underwent several phases of refurbishment.


In 2000 the roof of the front hall was renewed (with grants from the Rural Development Fund and Menter Preseli). Next, the corroded wall ties were renewed and the windows replaced with double-glazed units (funded by the Welsh Development Agency).


In 2002/3 the Welsh Council for Voluntary Action, together with match-funding from Pembrokeshire Community Regeneration Scheme, paid for the rebuilding of the rear changing room complete with shower room and kitchenette.


The final phase was completed in 2005, funded through the Welsh Assembly Regeneration Scheme and providing a new first floor committee/meeting room. Lloyds TSB funded a stair lift to make this first floor facility available to all.


Thanks to a £4500 grant from Award for All (Wales) the crockery, cutlery, tables were all replaced.


The hall offers multi-purpose facilities, in three separate areas, suitable for all types and size of event - coffee mornings, parties, meetings, wedding receptions, exhibitions, fashion shows, dances and stage productions.

Local History

Click to Enlarge